Humayun’s Tomb (हुमायूं का मकबरा)
Humayun Tomb lies in the south-west part of the capital near the Nizamuddin which is a major tourist attraction and it was made by the order of Mughals only in 16th century. The tomb was made under the command of Humayun’s first wife Bega Begum who was also known by the name Haji Begum. The construction of the tomb was started in the year 1569. The architecture of the Humayun Tomb was Mirak Mirza Ghiyas and his son Sayyid Muhammad who were basically from Persia.
Construction of Humayun’s Tomb
The Humayun’s Tomb is made up by the use of red sandstone at a very much higher extent. The UNESCO had declared Humayun’s Tomb as World Heritage Site in the year 1993. Restoration work had been continued since then as the heritage has become old due to the changing environment and weather. The construction of Humayun’s Tomb had begun in the year 1565 and was completed in the year 1572. The total cost of construction came out to be around 1.5 million rupees.
There is also Charbagh Garden which is in the form of a square and is spread over 13 hectares which is all around the monument. Somewhere in the 18th century all the gardens were replaced by vegetations all around who had settled within that area surrounding the Tomb. After the Britishers conquered India they redesigned the garden with constructing central pool in front of the Tomb.
Grave of Humayun
Humayun had died in the year 1556. Her wife decided to dedicate an Empire in the memory of his late husband Humayun. The location of Humayun Tomb was precisely chosen such that it should lie close to the river Yamuna and also to the Purana Qila (Old Fort). Haji Begum had supervised whole of the work of construction.